Sunday, May 4, 2014

Rebranding: From Crafts by Layna to Metal Arts by Marlayna

I recently changed my business name and image. I thought I needed to put a narrower focus into my name and have it actually reflect what I do.

I changed my company name to Metal Arts by Marlayna. I feel that this is a better fit for my company because it refers to what my medium is and it makes it obvious that I'm the creator.

My old business name was Crafts by Layna, I liked it because I thought it was cute and catchy plus I didn't have a focus on what I like to do so I liked how broad the word "craft" encompassed.

When I first started "crafting" I dabbled with many different mediums and didn't really have a specialty. Now I mainly work with copper or sterling silver wire and gemstones. I am learning how to work with sheet metal, experimenting with fold forming, metal stamping, soldering, and other metal working methods.

I feel Metal Arts encompasses what I do and what I am learning how to do better than the generic term "crafts".

Everyone always asked me who Layna is and I had to explain every time that my name is Marlayna but Layna is a shortened version. Honestly no one calls me Layna and I don't really like it lol but I guess I thought Marlayna was too wordy to use when I first chose a name.

I like my name, and since it is uncommon I feel that I can build a brand around it. 

I made my logo purple because it is my favorite color and I feel it makes my logo "pop" more.  Now I can make my brand cohesive with purple boxes, gift bags or whatever else I choose.

To me the bird in flight represents flying away from convention, being able to make your own choices, and artistic expression.

I found a thought provoking article on re-branding and questions that should be asked before choosing to rebrand. Not all of the questions resonated with me but questions 6 and 7 fit exactly why I chose to rebrand.

Long story short I am happy I chose to rebrand but it is definitely a decision that requires thought first and action second.

I hope you guys enjoyed my first blog post, check back often for contests, giveaways, tutorials, quality content and more!!

Goodbye for now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment